Dr. Keva L. Mitchell
There are times in life where we feel alone and isolated. We feel that we have no one to depend on or anyone that loves us. We are in a constant tailspin in our thoughts and actions. These are the times when we have to draw nearer to God and He will draw nearer to us. One might ask, how do I stop the constant rotation? Well I’m glad you asked.
Pray – Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all of His righteousness. This alone is enough for one to shout. When we’re on a dark road, with no light around us, just look up and seek God. We are His children and He knows all about our thoughts, our troubles, our fears, our disappointments, our mistakes, our everything. But we must remember to seek Him for guidance and to order our steps according to His purpose and not our own.
Praise – In times of trouble or when we are shackled down by a heavy burden, we must look to the hills from which cometh our help, because all of it comes from the Lord. Keeping a song in your heart can renew and strengthen you! We must make a joyful noise and praise our way until our breakthrough. One Sunday, I wasn’t in a “churchy” mood, but then I decided to go anyway despite what I was feeling. I’m surely glad that I did. I let go and I let God have his way in my praise. I opened my mind and heart and let the Holy Ghost move through me. Praising allowed me to forget about the cares of the world and praise God for who He is, and for His grace and mercy which are sufficient. The Bible says God will inhabit the praise of His people, so no matter who we are, we must know whose we are, and we must praise.
Press – What is press? Press is when you are going through and you continue to move forward in spite of your circumstances. You pray to God, you praise God, and press towards the higher mark for God. When you press, you’re showing satan that he’s a liar and God has you covered. When you press, you are showing all your haters that you are a child of the King, and by using His word, you are powerful! The scriptures serve as blocking mechanisms. When you are under attack, you speak those scriptures and let them just reside in you. Scriptures such as:
- Be still and know that I am God – Psalms 46:10a
- We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose – Romans 8:28
- For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord –Romans 8:38-39
- Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it onto completion until the day of Jesus Christ – Philippians 1:6
- Seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receiving; she who seeks finds; and to her who knocks, the door will be opened – Matthew 7:7-8
- For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of sound mind – 2 Timothy 1:1
- Now faith is the substance of the things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen – Hebrews 11:1
- Casting all your care upon him, for he cares – Peter 5:7
- But my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus – Philippians 4:19
- Cast they burden upon the Lord, and he will sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved – Psalms 55:22
Growing in the Lord is a daily process. We must remain diligent in our prayer life, our praise life, and our press life. When you feel as if all hope is gone, remember to lay it all on the altar and leave it in God’s hands. We are His children and He knows all about our problems. Never let anything separate you from the love of God. When we are bad, He loves us. When we are discouraged, He loves us. When we make mistakes, He loves us. What’s most important, He sent His only begotten son to save us from or sins. Now that’s true and real love!